5 Ways to help the earth in quarantine
When we are staying at home, it is hard to think of things you can do for the environment even though the need for solutions is even more needed as time goes on. I usually volunteer, but that is not an option anymore. Here are some easy alternatives:
1. The amount of single-use plastics has gone up a lot, so there is even more trash being dumped into our oceans and landfills. Try using reusable bags! Every effort counts, especially in a time like this.
2. Using energy efficient light bulbs is a huge help, but most of us do would rather spare the extra shopping trip. However, something as simple as turning off lights in your house and opening more windows can help. You can also reduce energy by unplugging devices when not in use. I think most people would be surprised to see how much you can save by trying these simple tips.
3. Make an at-home garden! It is a great hobby to have and you do not need to interact with other people. It is also great because you can grow the fruits and vegetables you would normally have to buy at the grocery store. Another hobby you could pick up is composting.
4. Clean green! Shop for eco-friendly cleaning supplies, and you can be helping the environment as well as your health!
5. Conserve paper! If you have something to print, make sure to recycle or reuse scraps of leftover paper and set the printer to print double sided.
The world has changed a lot during these times, and we are unable to volunteer for the organizations we support. Here are some creative alternatives!